(804) 771-9538 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate Acquisition, Development & Disposition
- Shopping Centers & Retail
- Commercial Real Estate Finance
- Commercial Real Estate - Ownership, Leasing & Management
- Real Estate Finance & Capital Markets
- Tax-Deferred (1031 & 1033) Exchanges
A native of Richmond, Ryan Jenness is a partner in the firm's real estate practice group. Ryan began his practice in 2001 in the vibrant Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia real estate market, returning to his hometown in early 2008. His practice focuses on commercial leasing, sales and acquisitions, and borrower representation. Ryan has performed extensive work representing landlords and tenants in leasing office and retail space.
Ryan has abundant experience with both retail and office properties. He has worked on a variety of retail projects, including stand-alone operators, restaurants, shopping centers, and regional malls. He is routinely involved in the drafting and negotiation of space leases, ground leases, and shopping center declarations. Many of Ryan’s deals have included national retailers, such as Costco, Wegmans, McDonald’s, Advance Auto, Ben and Jerry’s, Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, Subway, Wawa, CVS, Jared, Sonic, Jo-Ann, Dollar Tree, Sweet Frog and Tuesday Morning, among others.
On the office front, Ryan regularly represents owners and tenants in office transactions, including numerous leases in excess of 100,000 square feet, in addition to portfolio sales and acquisitions.
With the foregoing experience, Ryan is uniquely well-suited to counsel clients on issues associated with mixed-use development. Current large-scale projects include prominent waterfront developments in Richmond and Roanoke, Virginia, each planned to consist of office, retail, restaurant, residential, and hotel space.
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- College of William & Mary, B.A., 1998
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- Author, "Mixed-used Communities: Redefining Hampton Roads," The Hampton Roads Business Journal, June 5, 2015
- Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Real Estate, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012-2015
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Mid-Atlantic Conference Planning Committee, 2015
- Moderator, Retailers' Runway, ICSC Mid-Atlantic Conference, 2015
- Roundtable Moderator, ICSC Law Conference, 2010-2013
- District of Columbia