(804) 771-9520 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
Josh’s practice focuses on tax planning, estate planning, and trust and estate administration. He also lends his tax experience to structuring complex corporate transactional matters.
While completing his undergraduate degree at West Virginia University, Josh was a member of the 2000 Big East Conference All-Academic Football Team.
- Assist in design and implementation of estate planning transactions which integrate investment management, business succession, asset protection and income and transfer taxation planning on behalf of high net worth individuals and families.
- Represent personal representatives in administration of large estates with local circuit courts and filing of estate tax returns with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represent trustees in trust administration matters, including distribution determinations and non-judicial settlement agreements
- Prepare federal gift tax returns and analyze federal and state income and transfer tax issues
- Represent businesses and their shareholders in business acquisitions and sales, including stock sale to publicly traded companies.
- Advise clients on the formation of various state law entities, including corporations, LLCs, limited partnerships and non-profit corporations.
Published Works/Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Virginia Department of Forestry Generation “NEXT” workshop -- Presentation on forestry land, family and business planning issues, succession issues and preservation issues for Virginia landowners, November 2017
- Speaker, Virginia Family and Private Business Forum -- Sponsor Presentation on Estate Planning and Business Succession Planning, April 2017
- Co-author, with David S. Lionberger, "Be Aware of Differing Worker Classification Tests Applied by DOL and IRS," Virginia Lawyer, October 2015
- Denver Sturm College of Law, LL.M., Taxation
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., Southeastern Environmental Law Journal
- West Virginia University, B.S., Business Administration - Finance
- Named to "Legal Elite" (Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law), Virginia Business, 2017
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar (Trusts and Estates Section)
- Richmond Private Business Study Group
Pro Bono/Community Service
- Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation, member of Board of Directors and Finance Committee
- District of Columbia
- South Carolina