(804) 771-9519 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Commercial Disputes
- Eminent Domain & Title Litigation
- Litigation & ADR
- Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice
- Business & Corporate
- Local Government
- Real Estate Tax
- Regulatory & Administrative Law Matters
John Walk handles civil disputes with particular emphasis on cases arising in connection with the development of real property such as land use, environmental law, eminent domain, property assessment, insurance, and contract disputes. Since joining the firm in 1980, John has served as lead counsel in a wide variety of litigation matters ranging from routine business disputes to "bet the company" litigation. In addition to traditional courtroom litigation, John is also well versed in alternate dispute resolution including arbitration, mediation and judicial settlement negotiation.
- Land Use litigation - John regularly handles appeals of zoning and other land use decisions, including defending approvals obtained by the Land Use Team which are appealed by others.Several of these cases have gone all the way to the Virginia Supreme Court and are now leading precedents on standing, assessment of connection fees, spot zoning and other land use issues.John was also lead counsel on the Fairfax (“C&I”) litigation involving over 300 suits with 40 law firms opposing the County.John successfully argued two appeals on behalf of the County.
- Tax assessment appeals – John also frequently appeals assessments of real estate and taxable equipment.This practice has included cases involving assessments in excess of $100 million.In addition, John has successfully defended tax collection proceedings, including a major decision dismissing efforts to collect on behalf of a CDA which resulted in “emergency” legislation by the General Assembly.
- Condemnation litigation — John has represented many landowners in condemnation litigation against VDOT and other condemning authorities and has secured substantial increases over pre-litigation offers. He is also one of the few attorneys to defeat a condemnation for lack of public purpose in a case cited to the U.S. Supreme Court in Kelo as the leading authority in Virginia on point.
- Environmental Matters — John has handled a variety of cases involving environmentally sensitive materials. In one case, a local government attempted to block relocation of a transformer recycling business due to its handling of small levels of PCBs. John was successful in forcing issuance of all necessary permits.
- Estates and Trusts — Another area of concentration in John’s practice is litigation involving estates and trusts, including construction of wills and trusts, estate tax allocation, fiduciary misconduct and aid, and guidance litigation.He has been involved in litigation regarding the administration of several multimillion dollar estates.One in particular involved the distribution of an approximately $19 million net estate and resulted in rulings on issues of first impression in Virginia in favor of our clients.
- Class Actions -- John served as one of the lead attorneys in a major class action resulting in a $25 million settlement and later served as trustee of the settlement fund in disbursing the proceeds of the case to hundreds of class members.This case was reported in the Wall Street Journal and other major financial publications.
- Appellate Litigation -- The Virginia Supreme Court hears all civil appeals on a discretionary basis, many seasoned trial attorneys have not argued a single Virginia Supreme Court case.Rarely does an attorney in private civil practice argue more than one or two in a lifetime. To date, John has handled eighteen (18) reported cases before the Virginia Supreme Court*, which follow.
Western Refining Yorktown, Inc. v. County of York, Virginia, 793 S.E.2d 777 (2016)
CVAS 2, LLC v. City of Fredericksburg, 289 Va. 100, 766 S.E.2d 912 (2015)
Friends of the Rappahannock, et al. v. Caroline County Board of Supervisors, et al., 286 Va. 38, 743 S.E.2d 132 (2013)
Russell Realty Associates, et al. v. C. Edward Russell, Jr., 283 Va. 797, 724 S.E.2d 690 (2012)
Riverside Healthcare Association, Inc., et al. v. Sarah E. Forbes, Former Trustee of the Sarah E. Forbes Riverside Trust, et al., 281 Va. 522, 709 S.E.2d 156 (2011)
Eagle Harbor, LLC v. Isle of Wight County, 271 Va. 603, 628 S.E.2d 298 (2006).
Cangiano v. LSH Building Co., LLC, 271 Va. 171, 623 S.E.2d 889 (2006).
Chesterfield Meadows Shopping Center Associates, L.P. v. Smith, 264 Va. 350, 568 S.E.2d 676 (2002).
Smith v. Chesterfield Meadows Shopping Center Associates, L.P., 259 Va. 82, 523 S.E.2d 834 (2000).
Board of Zoning Appeals of James City County v. University Square Associates, 246 Va. 290, 435 S.E.2d 385 (1993).
County of Fairfax v. Fleet Indus. Park Ltd. Partnership, 242 Va. 426, 410 S.E.2d 669 (1991).
County of Fairfax v. Southern Iron Works, Inc., 242 Va. 435, 410 S.E.2d 674 (1991).
Barrick v. Board of Supervisors of Mathews County, 239 Va. 628, 391 S.E.2d 318 (1990).
Counts v. Stone Container Corp., 239 Va. 152, 387 S.E.2d 481 (1990).
Fidelity and Guaranty Insurance Underwriters, Inc. v. Allied Realty Co., Ltd., 238 Va. 458, 384 S.E.2d 613 (1989).
J.W. Woolard Mechanical & Plumbing, Inc. v. Jones Development Corp., 235 Va. 333, 367 S.E.2d 501 (1988).
City of Charlottesville v. DeHaan, 228 Va. 578, 323 S.E.2d 131 (1984).
Hening v. Maynard, 227 Va. 113, 313 S.E.2d 379 (1984).
* Case results do not guarantee a similar result in any future case.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- College of William & Mary, B.A.
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, Virginia Bar Association: Advanced Business Litigation Institute: “Frequently Misunderstood Issues in Virginia Civil Litigation” (2012); “Damages in Commercial Litigation” (2016)
- University of Richmond Law Review, Annual Survey of Virginia Law, Civil Practice and Procedure, 50 U of R Law Rev. 39 (2015), 46 U of R Law Rev. 9 (2011), 45 U of R Law Rev. 183 (2010), 40 U of R Law Rev. 95 (2005), 39 U of R Law Rev. 87 (2004)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Richmond T.C. Williams School of Law.
- Courses: Virginia Civil Procedure, Advanced Trial Advocacy
- Faculty Virginia Supreme Court Professionalism Course
- Virginia Supreme Court, Pre-Bench Training, Virginia Civil Procedure
- Named a “Richmond Lawyer of the Year”, Appellate Practice, Best Lawyers, Woodward/White, Inc., 2016, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Litigation-Real Estate, Litigation-Trusts and Estate, Woodward/White, Inc., 2012-2018
- Named a “Leader in the Field,” Litigation: General Commercial, Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017 and 2018
- Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2017
- Named a “Leader in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2013
- Named to “Legal Elite” (Civil Litigation), Virginia Business, 2011 and 2013-2014; (Appellate Law), Virginia Business, 2016 and 2017
- Former Chair and Member of Steering Committee, Boyd Graves Conference
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- International Association of Assessing Officers
- Local Government Attorneys
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Fourth Circuit)
- U.S. District Court (Eastern District and Western District of Virginia)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court (Eastern District of Virginia)
- U.S. Tax Court