(540) 604-2103 phone
(540) 604-2101 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate Acquisition, Development & Disposition
- Commercial Real Estate - Land Use, Zoning & Development
- Commercial Real Estate - Ownership, Leasing & Management
- Community Association Formation & Representation
- Condominium & Planned Unit Development
- Institutional Client Representation
- Land Use, Zoning & Permitting
- Shopping Centers & Retail
- Tax-Deferred (1031 & 1033) Exchanges
- Real Estate Finance & Capital Markets
John McManus is a partner and member of the firm's Board of Directors. John has extensive experience in a number of practice areas including commercial and residential real estate law, zoning and land use law, corporate and general business law, and estate planning. He represents developers, homebuilders, contractors, defense contractors, financial institutions, business owners, not-for-profit organizations, medical practitioners and individuals. John has lectured on numerous topics, including title insurance, commercial leasing, foreclosures, mechanic's liens and 1031 exchanges. He is located in the firm's Fredericksburg, Virginia office.
- Negotiates and closes real estate sales, loans and acquisitions for commercial, office, residential and retail property, including the preparation of contracts, office and retail leases, letters of intent, and related documents.
- Represents property owners in zoning and related land use matters.
- Analyzes the feasibility studies for property acquisitions and financing, including review of title, environmental studies, loan documents, survey, zoning, and leases.
- Drafts covenants, restrictions and easements for office, industrial, retail, residential and mixed use projects, including documents for commercial and residential property owners associations and condominiums.
- Assists clients in obtaining the necessary governmental approvals for the development of land and construction of improvements by working with local government attorneys, planners, zoning administrators, engineers and staff.
- Counsels clients in construction and construction-related industries with respect to contract, lien and title issues.
- Forms limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations and prepares bylaws, operating and shareholder agreements, and represents clients in the acquisition and sale of companies.
- Advises business owners and defense contractors on corporate formation and government contract issues.
- Counsels clients in estate planning - wills, powers of attorney, trusts, and advanced medical directives.
- Conducts foreclosure sales for financial institutions of commercial properties and raw land.
- Acted as branch counsel for Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation.
- Washington and Lee School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Johns Hopkins University, M.S. in Real Estate Finance and Development, 1996
- Bowdoin College, B.A. in History, 1986
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- "An Examination of the Issues, Challenges and Trends in the Development of Senior Housing"
Pro Bono/Community Service:
- The Community Foundation of the Rappahannock River Region (Board of Governors)
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to "Legal Elite," Real Estate/Land Use, Virginia Business, 2009-2011, 2013-2014
- Fredericksburg Bar Association (Past Treasurer)
- Virginia Bar Association (Member, Real Property Section)
- Urban Land Institute
- Fredericksburg Area Builders Association
- American Bar Association
- Board of Directors