(804) 771-9587 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice
- Business & Corporate
- Commercial Disputes
- Health Care
- Litigation & ADR
- Regulatory & Administrative Law Matters
- Landlord-Tenant & Leasing Disputes
Following his judicial clerkship with the Virginia Supreme Court, John joined the firm's litigation section. He has served on the firm's Board of Directors, has served as the firm's Corporate Secretary, has served as chair of the firm's Recruiting Committee, and has also served as the firm's Hiring Officer and Vice Chairman of the Litigation section. John's practice has developed over the years in a variety of areas including landlord-tenant, health care, real estate/land use, product liability, partnership and corporate shareholder disputes, and criminal law (primarily "white collar" cases). Given the variety and nature of John's practice, many of his clients look to him to provide not only litigation services, but advice in a number of general business areas as well. John represents real estate developers, landlords, owners, and property managers that own and manage commercial (as well as some residential) real estate. He counsels clients concerning litigation options as well as ways to resolve disputes outside of litigation, combining his expertise in litigation with his knowledge of the law pertaining to landlord-tenant relationships, creditor rights, and bankruptcy. He represents regional and national shopping center/mall owners and developers and numerous shopping center owners and real estate companies in the Metropolitan Richmond area. John also represents physicians and other health care professionals in licensure proceedings before the Virginia Boards of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing. John appears regularly in state and federal courts throughout the Commonwealth as well as before administrative tribunals and panels of arbitrators. In addition, he has also argued a number of cases before the Virginia Supreme Court, the Virginia Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He also routinely lectures at Continuing Legal Education seminars in the areas of landlord-tenant law and health care, speaking for organizations including the Richmond Bar Association, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, National Business Institute, Sterling Education Services and Lorman Education Services
- Landlord Tenant Experience: John has been involved in hundreds of landlord-tenant disputes, tenant and landlord/owner bankruptcies and the defense of client interests in actions filed by tenants and former tenants. One such action involved a suit brought by a former tenant arising out of the landlord's disposition of restaurant furniture and equipment. After a two-day jury trial, the jury returned a verdict in favor of John's client — after deliberating for only 10 minutes.
- Health Care Litigation and Regulatory Experience: John assists with HIPAA compliance issues and has handled numerous appeals arising from audits by the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services. He is also consulted on contract issues, and combining his substantive knowledge of health care law with his background in litigation, he has assisted a number of the firm's health care clients in the development of strategies for the resolution of disputes outside of litigation.
- Product Liability Experience: John has served as Virginia counsel for a number of national medical device (e.g., orthopedic prosthetics) and other product (e.g., asbestos, food/meat distributors, swimming pools, automotive, seat belts) manufacturers in litigation in state and federal courts. In many of these cases, John has succeeded in having the cases dismissed before trial on summary judgment. John has also assisted a number of clients involved in product manufacturing in evaluating and seeking to prevent potential litigation/claims through his review and analysis of their products, brochures, sales documentation and manuals.
- Complex Civil Litigation, Partnership/Corporate Shareholder Dispute Experience: John's experience is varied. Examples include his representation of the majority stockholders in a four week long corporate dissolution action. In the real estate/land use area, John represented a locality in a six month long trial arising from a subdivision decision. In the commercial business area, John was involved in the representation of an estate in a gift tax refund case which went to the United States Supreme Court.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Tech, B.A.
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, "Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law," and "Ethical Considerations in Landlord and Tenant Law," Landlord and Tenant Law in Virginia, Lorman Education Seminar, December 5, 2013
- Speaker, "HIPPA Compliance in Light of HITECH and the Omnibus Final Rule," Medical Records Law in Virginia, Lorman Education Seminar, June 4, 2013
- Adjunct Professor, Advanced Trial Practice, University of Richmond School of Law, Spring 2013
- Lecturer, "HIPAA Compliance and the HITECH Act," Medical Records Law in Virginia, Lorman Education Seminar, April 18, 2013
- Moderator and Speaker, "Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law," and "Bankruptcy Issues Affecting the Landlord-Tenant Relationship," Landlord and Tenant Law in Virginia, Lorman Education Seminar, February 12, 2013
Pro Bono/Community Service:
- Science Museum of Virginia Foundation, (Board of Directors; Immediate Past President)
- Leadership Metro Richmond (Board of Directors, 2005-2011)
- Chippenham-Johnston Willis Hospitals (Patient Advisory Council, 2011-present)
- The John Ivins Worship Band (www.johnivins.com); founded and is actively involved in this Christian ministry
- Powhatan Community Church (Worship Leader)
- University of Richmond Law School Association (Board of Directors, Past President)
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and Western Virginia (Board of Directors, 2 terms)
- Richmond Bar Association (Board of Directors, 2 terms)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Capital Region (Past Member, Board of Directors)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Real Estate, Woodward/White, Inc., 2011-2014
- Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013 and 2014
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Named to “Legal Elite” (Health Law), Virginia Business, 2006-2013
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association (Member, Civil Litigation and Health Law Sections; Past Member, Young Lawyers Executive Committee)
- American Bar Association (Member, Health Law; TIPS, Products, General Liability and Consumer Law Committees) (Member, Interest Groups on Healthcare Facility Operations, Healthcare Litigation and Risk Management and Physician Issues)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Former Vice Chair, Litigation Section
- Former, Recruiting Committee Chair
- Former, Hiring Officer
- Former Member, Board of Directors
- United States District Courts (E.D. Va.; W.D. Va.)
- United States Bankruptcy Court (E.D. Va.)
- United States Court of Appeals (4th Circuit)
- United States Supreme Court