(804) 771-9541 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
Jim Van Horn is the co-managing partner of Hirschler Fleischer’s Investment Management and Private Funds Practice Group. He focuses his practice on representing institutional and high net worth investors, private investment funds, investment advisers, broker-dealers and other financial market professionals in connection with a variety of investment transactions and compliance with the federal and state securities laws and regulations.
Jim has been practicing in the field of investment management and regulation since graduating, with distinction, from the Georgetown Law Center’s LL.M. program in securities and financial regulation. He regularly works with institutional investors (including governmental pension plans and endowment funds) to analyze and negotiate the terms of investments in U.S. and offshore private investment funds, and represents fund sponsors with the formation and operation of their private investment funds (including private equity, mezzanine, hedge, real estate and venture capital funds). Jim also:
- Assists newly-formed investment advisers and broker-dealers with registration at the state and federal level;
- Represents investment advisers and broker-dealers with merger and acquisition transactions; and
- Advises broker-dealers and clients working with broker-dealers on relevant FINRA regulations;
- Represents investment advisers and private investment fund sponsors with state and federal regulatory compliance and inspections; and
- Prepares organizational documents for sponsor of such offerings and assists with the preparation of advertising and disclosure materials.
Jim represents clients in a broad range of securities and corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, formations, structuring, private offerings and commercial operations. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Jim owned and managed his own business. He also obtained an M.B.A. from the University of Richmond Graduate School of Business, which augments his ability to counsel his clients and represent them on discrete transactions.
- Serves as investment and securities counsel to one of the largest government pension funds in the United States, representing the fund in more than $3 billion in private equity, real estate, distressed debt, mezzanine, hedge and venture capital fund investments, secondary market purchases and co-investments.
- Ongoing representation of other institutional investors, such as college and university endowment funds, fund-of-funds, and family offices with respect to direct investments, managed accounts and investments in private investment funds.
- Represented private equity fund sponsors in the formation and offering of private equity and mezzanine funds ranging in size from $50 million to $500 million in capital commitments.
- Represented emerging markets fund manager with respect to international private equity fund formations and compliance with international tax treaties.
- Represented private investment fund sponsors with the formation of offshore funds in the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
- Represented an emerging growth company in the business of developing alternative energy resources with respect to multiple rounds of private placement offerings.
- Advises business clients in various industries on the sale of the stock or assets of their business to private equity funds, strategic buyers and competitors.
- Ongoing representation of corporate clients in various industries, including wine importation, distributors of green technology, and e-commerce.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Securities and Financial Regulation, with Distinction
- University of Richmond Graduate School of Business, M.B.A., Beta Gamma Sigma Honoree
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- The College of William & Mary, B.A., Government and History
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- Author, "FinCEN Proposes New AML Rules for Investment Advisers," Hirschler Fleischer Adviser Alert, September 2015
- Author, RIA Primer - Marketing and Advertising, Hirschler Fleischer Law Primer, April 2015
- Panel Member, "SEC OCIE's Examination of the Private Fund World," NAPPA Summer CLE Conference, June 2015
- Presenter, "JOBs Act and Crowdfunding," NRS 29th Annual RIA and BD Compliance Conference, October 2014
- Presenter, "Contract Terms, Timing & Alignment (Part 2 - Private Equity & Other Closed-End Funds)," Council of Compliance Officers Roundtable, July 2014
- Presenter, "Registered Investment Adviser Regulatory Update," FPA Virginia Chapter--Annual Forum 2014
- Presenter, "Contract Terms, Timing and Alignment (Part 1 - Separately Managed Accounts)," Council of Compliance Officers Roundtable, March 2014
- Presenter, "Update on New Regulations for Financial Advisers: The New Norm," Presentation to FPA Virginia Chapter--Annual Forum 2013
- Speaker, “Update on New Regulations for Financial Advisers: The New Norm,” Financial Planning Association Annual Forum 2013, June 7, 2013
- Speaker, “Long Term Business Planning: Preparing for the Future of Your Business,” November 2012 and March 2013
- Co-presenter, “Business Succession,” University of Richmond School of Continuing Studies, May 14, 2012
- Co-presenter, “Financial Options for Starting a New Business,” Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce, February 8, 2012
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Association for Corporate Growth
- District of Columbia Bar
- Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce
- National Association of Pension Plan Attorneys
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia