(804) 771-9586 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Antitrust/Business Competition
- Commercial Disputes
- Construction & Suretyship
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Litigation & ADR
- Local Government
Chandra is a partner whose experience crosses several practice areas. Her practice includes commercial business disputes in state and federal courts with special emphasis on construction litigation and disputes connected with the use and development of real property. She also tackles unique land use disputes on behalf of private entities as well as local governments. Chandra represents clients in both the prosecution and defense of significant contract claims, business torts, and insurance coverage disputes. She routinely advises owners, contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, sureties and others in the construction, professional services and real estate development industries.
Prior to joining the firm, Chandra was a judicial clerk for The Honorable Elizabeth B. Lacy of the Supreme Court of Virginia. She uses this insight in her appellate work before state and federal appellate courts.
- Prosecution and defense of construction and commercial business disputes in court, arbitration and mediation.
- Contract negotiation and advisory services on contract procedures, project management processes, risk avoidance, insurance coverage and business planning.
- Resolution of complex insurance coverage disputes.
- Representation of developers, owners, general contractors and subcontractors in commercial construction disputes in Virginia and Maryland.
- Prosecuting and defending payment and bond disputes and claims.
- Construction defects, performance disputes, delay and other impact claims, including federal, state, local and defense contracts.
- Representation of local governments with land use matters, including zoning, planning and condemnation litigation.
- Appeals of adverse regulatory decisions, including administrative agency and zoning decisions.
- Patent infringement, trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, false advertising and unfair competition prosecution and defense in a variety of industries, as well as intellectual property based breach of contract matters.
Projects at the center of Chandra's construction practice include big-box retailers, university buildings, hotels and conference centers, science and research facilities, fast-food restaurants, hospitals, theaters, medical office buildings, sports complexes, arenas, rehabilitation centers, historic properties, courthouses, public schools, roads, bridges and private residences from starter homes to multi-million dollar estates. Representative industries include construction, professional services, telecommunications, utilities, entertainment, retail sales, and technology.
Representative federal and appellate decisions in which Chandra has been involved include:
- Harrell v. Colonial Holdings, Inc., 923 F.Supp. 2d 813 (2013)
- Moore-King v. County of Chesterfield, 708 F.3d 560 (2013)
- Professional Building Maintenance Corp. v. School Board of the County of Spotsylvania, 283 Va. 747, 725 S.E.2d 543 (2012)
- Board of Supervisors of Loudoun County, et al. v. Town of Purcellville, 276 Va. 419, 666 S.E.2d 512 (2008)
- Richardson v. Amresco, 267 Va. 43, 592 S.E.2d 65 (2004)
- Perel v. Brannan, 267 Va. 691, 594 S.E.2d 899 (2004)
- Virginia Financial Associates, Inc. v. ITT Hartford Group, Inc., 266 Va. 177 585 S.E.2d 789 (2003)
- Ruther v. Gettysburg College, 31 Fed. Appx. 214 (2002)
- Livesay v. Ward, 14 Fed. Appx. 232 (2001)
- Bailey v. Freund, 208 F.3d 208 (4th Cir. 2000)
- Pearsall v. Virginia Racing Commission, 26 Va. App. 376, 494 S.E.2d 879 (1998)
- Atlantech Distribution, Inc. v. Credit General Ins. Co., 30 F. Supp. 2d 534 (1998)
- Norris v. Mitchell, 255 Va. 255, 495 S.E.2d 809 (1998)
- Hubbard v. Henrico Limited Partnership, 255 Va. 335, 497 S.E.2d 335 (1998)
- Davis v. Cole, 99 F.Supp. 809 (E.D. Va. 1998)
- Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William & Mary, J.D.
- Connecticut College, B.A., cum laude
Published Works/Speaking Engagements:
- Speaker, "That’s Not My Job; Or Is It? The Breadth and Limits of Scope and Incorporation Clauses,” 37th Annual Construction and Public Contracts Law Conference, November 2016
- Speaker, "Calling Performance Bonds,” Local Government Attorneys of Virginia Fall Conference, October 2016
- Virginia Contributor, Construction Law Update: “Case Law and Legislation Affecting the Construction Industry,” American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law (2015-2016 ed.) Click here for entire article.
- Speaker, "AIA Contracts: AIA A401 Contractor - Subcontractor Agreement," July 25, 2014
- Speaker, "Facilitating Success In Construction," 34th Annual Construction and Public Contracts Law Conference, November 2013
- Speaker, "10 Insurance Traps For the Unwary Business," September 2013
- Certificate of Insurance Can Create Troubling Coverage Gaps (CFMA Building Profits, Construction Finance Management Association, September/October 2013)
- Speaker, "Current Construction Legal Issues and Trends," Construction Finance Management Association, 2011
- 2010 Construction Issues Legislative Update, Virginia Construction Journal, Fall 2010
- Pitfalls on the Path to Getting Paid, Virginia Construction Journal, Spring 2010
- The American Recovery & Reinvestment Act: Helping Virginia Contractors Bridge the Recession Gap with Public Work Construction Opportunities, The Virginia Bar Association News Journal, Fall 2009
Pro Bono/Community Service:
- Virginia Foundation for Community College Education, Board of Directors
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association (Past President)
- Virginia Bar Association Commission on Professionalism
- Virginia Bar Association Construction & Public Contracts Law Council (Past Chair)
- Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
- Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” (Business Litigation), Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2010-2016
- Named among CREW Richmond's, "25 Women To Watch in Commercial Real Estate," October 2015
- Virginia SuperLawyers Top 50 Women 2012
- Named to "Legal Elite," Virginia Business Magazine, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
- Local Government Attorneys Association (LGA)
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Lewis F. Powell Inn of Court
- Virginia Bar Association (VBA)
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association (VWAA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Virginia State Bar (VSB)
- Construction Financial Membership Association (CFMA)
- Greater Richmond Association for Commercial Real Estate (GRACRE)
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Chair, Local Government Law Group
- Women's Initiatives Network
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for Virginia
- U.S. District Court for Maryland