(804) 771-9545 phone
(804) 644-0957 fax
Download vCard Print Bio
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate Acquisition, Development & Disposition
- Shopping Centers & Retail
- Commercial Real Estate - Land Use, Zoning & Development
- Commercial Real Estate - Ownership, Leasing & Management
- Institutional Client Representation
- Land Use, Zoning & Permitting
- Business & Corporate
- Employment Law & Benefits & Litigation
- Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice
Brian is a partner with Hirschler Fleischer and works as a consultant for the firm clients needing assistance with government relations, public affairs and economic development matters. In addition to law firm experience, Brian was the Vice President and General Counsel of Ukrop’s Super Markets, Inc., a multi-division company that included retail, manufacturing and a bank holding company. Brian is adept at handling a variety of issues ranging broadly across real estate and general business areas. His current law practice involves representation of commercial developers, lenders, builders and commercial landlords and tenants. He also represents property owners and developers in land use and zoning projects. Additionally, Brian handles corporate business matters, including serving as outside general counsel to small and mid-size companies, including day-to-day advice and counsel to CEOs, in-house counsel, business managers, human resource officers and staff personnel on a variety of legal issues, such as contract review, employment and governance issues, regulatory matters, government relations, legislative guidance and a range of strategic and policy issues.
Brian has a strong community presence and a distinguished record of community involvement and professional success. He served on the Board of Commissioners of the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority from 2003-2008, including the position of Chairman for two years. Mr. Jackson also served on the Virginia Commonwealth University Board of Visitors for eight years and the VCU Real Estate Foundation Board of Directors for six years. During this length of service, the university master-planned and developed nearly a billion dollars in real estate projects on and around the VCU campus.
- Representation of developers in public-private economic development projects.
- Negotiation and documentation of real estate sales and acquisitions for commercial, office and mixed-use projects.
- Handling government relations matters for developers and construction companies.
- Due diligence activities in connection with feasibility studies for acquisitions.
- Zoning and other land use matters involving local municipalities, community groups and neighborhood associations.
- Negotiation and drafting shopping center development agreements, operating and easement agreements, restrictive covenants and joint site work agreements
- Negotiation and drafting office, residential and retail leases and real estate development agreements
- Negotiation and drafting office, residential and retail leases and real estate development agreements.
Business & Corporate
- Counseling business managers on day-to-day legal issues across various corporate departments.
- Development of standardized forms and legal procedures for corporate departments.
- Extensive experience negotiating, drafting and reviewing complex commercial agreements and corporate transactions, including vendor contracts, asset purchase agreements, joint ventures and product sales.
- Due diligence for commercial transactions.
- Counseling owners and managers on employment issues, including hiring practices, EEO compliance, accommodating disabilities, termination of employees, drafting work-place policies, conducting misconduct investigations and drafting employment, consulting and non-competition agreements.
- Primary responsibility for establishing a joint venture to create (and majority own) a de novo federal savings bank.
- William & Mary Law School, J.D.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A.
- Named to "Legal Elite" (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2017
- AV Preminent rating, Martindale-Hubbell, recognized by peers with the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical practice.
- Fellow of the Virginia Law Foundation, an honor that represents less than 1% of all members of the Virginia State Bar and is conferred on lawyers who have maintained and upheld the highest standards of the profession, are outstanding in the community, and distinguished in the practice of law for at least 10 years.
- Named to “Legal Elite” (Business Law), Virginia Business, 2016
- Virginia Commonwealth University Alumni Star Award, awarded for community, humanitarian and professional achievements and university service.
- Virginia Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division Fellows Award, honored for promoting the VBA’s mission through outstanding work and long-term service.
Service to the Bar:
- Member, Virginia Board of Examiners (appointed by Supreme Court of Virginia). State licensing authority for attorneys. Responsible for ascertaining the qualifications of applicants and drafting, administering and grading the bar examination.
- Former Substitute Judge, Commonwealth of Virginia. Served in the General District Courts in Richmond metropolitan area.
- Venture Richmond (public-private partnership) Board Member, Executive Committee
- Richmond's Future (local think tank), Board Secretary, Executive Committee
- Visual Arts Center, Board Member, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar