In the area of real estate taxation, our experienced lawyers are able to take a property owner's case from informal discussions with local tax assessors all the way through a Circuit Court lawsuit and Supreme Court appeal, if necessary. Group members routinely handle tax appeals in the Richmond Metropolitan Area and other locations throughout the Commonwealth, including Northern Virginia, Tidewater, and the Shenandoah Valley. Our lawyers have experience appearing before many different local boards of equalization and courts. Our representations encompass a wide range of properties, including multifamily housing, office, retail (including shopping centers and malls), hotels, assisted living facilities, industrial plants, country clubs, and unimproved land. The following are some examples of our current and recent cases:
- Lead trial counsel in a complex trial in Goochland County Circuit Court involving a major office park with an aggregate assessment in excess of $100,000,000. Also served as counsel on first appeal of that case to the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Trial counsel in five-day trial in Richmond Circuit Court contesting assessments for a scattered site affordable housing community bound by HUD, VHDA, and LIHTC restrictions. Currently serving as lead appellate counsel before the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Counsel in case pending in York County Circuit Court contesting assessment for refinery plant.
- Counsel in case pending in Fairfax City Circuit Court challenging assessment of a country club
- Counsel in case pending in Lynchburg Circuit Court appealing assessment for a regional mall
- Trial counsel in multi-day trial in Richmond Circuit Court contesting assessments for apartment complex with unique, all-inclusive rent structure
- Counsel in Circuit Court tax appeals challenging assessments for affordable housing facilities, including senior housing
- Counsel in Circuit Court tax appeals challenging assessments for undeveloped parcels