The Catastrophic Injury Group is comprised of three experienced trial attorneys, Mahlon G. "Bud" Funk, Jr., W. Brian McCann and Jacqueline C. Hedblom, who represent plaintiffs in cases involving traumatic brain injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, defective products, automobile injury, premises liability, and other personal injury matters, with particular emphasis on catastrophic and complex injury and death cases.
When you are injured or someone you know dies as a result of someone's negligence, we understand that you have a lot of questions about how to proceed with your legal remedies. We also understand that you want and deserve the best legal advice throughout the entire pre-litigation, litigation, and post-litigation process. From the first moment you contact the Catastrophic Injury Group, you will speak directly with one or more members of this litigation team. Throughout the entire case, you will work directly with these attorneys. We will answer your questions. We will explain the process to you. We will work directly with you. We want to get to know you, and we want you to know us. Building the relationship between you and our team is essential in building your case and getting the result you and we want -- one that fairly and justly compensates you for your loss.
To encourage our clients to contact us at any time regarding any aspect of their case, we do not charge an hourly rate for our time. Instead, we represent our clients on a contingency basis where our fee is dependent upon and directly tied to the result we obtain for you.
Our combined experience, skills, and dedicated and focused practice group are proven assets to our clients in dealing with these difficult matters, and we take tremendous pride in the results we obtain for our clients. We look forward to talking to you and to having the opportunity, pleasure and responsibility of representing you.
PURSUANT TO VIRGINIA STATE BAR RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT, RULE 7.2: CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. THEREFORE, PAST CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE WHICH HIRSCHLER FLEISCHER AND ITS ATTORNEYS MAY UNDERTAKE.
Representative Verdicts and Settlements
- First $1,000,000 verdict for medical malpractice in the Richmond area (second in Virginia, however first to be entered as judgment on the verdict by trial court), for cerebral edema stroke due to failure to properly monitor elderly diabetic housewife with shingles.
- $2,950,000 for death of a worker fatally struck by a vehicle while on roadway worksite.
- $1,000,000 for loss of leg of octogenarian grandmother with multiple life-threatening conditions due to medical negligence in failing to monitor her while hospitalized for diagnostic testing and observation.
- $1,000,000 for 58 year old man injured by high-impact collision with median pole when swerved to avoid intersection collision, resulting in resection of part of a lung and partial loss of functional capacity of that lung.
- $535,000 for 81 year old man with left hip dislocation and displaced comminuted right femur fractures when his vehicle broke loose from the winch on a flat-bed tow truck and rolled back over his right leg.
"I wish to extend my sincere appreciation for the wonderful work that you did.... You are a true professional .... It was indeed my personal pleasure to meet and work with you to attain our ultimate goal of securing the future of my daughter and grandchildren." Betty, Tappahannock, Virginia
"I found our experience with you ... to be reassuring and comforting in a most stressful and uncertain time .... It was apparent to me that your opening presentation stunned and overpowered the defense. Moreover, the family is extremely pleased with the results.... On a professional note, you may be assured that I will refer clients when appropriate." Randy, Hanover, Virginia